So I went to see Beyoncé again for the 6th time on Tuesday! Remember her song Flawless?
‘We teach girls to shrink themselves
To make themselves smaller
We say to girls,
“You can have ambition
But not too much
You should aim to be successful
But not too successful
Otherwise you will threaten the man”’
Did you know that the voice that says this in the song is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie? You should check out her TED Talk from which this was taken. I love how it works in that song, especially this part:
‘We raise girls to see each other as competitors
Not for jobs or for accomplishments
Which I think can be a good thing
But for the attention of men
We teach girls that they cannot be sexual beings
In the way that boys are
Feminist: the person who believes in the social
Political, and economic equality of the sexes’
Yes, it is all about creating a balance. That balance comes from equality and that comes from more women in leadership roles. And that is why I started BrandedU.
Now, women find it hard to network which is something you need to do if you want to have a successful career. I call it having a tribe!
So how do you build your tribe?
1. Be around women who you admire.
2. Look at what you have in common.
3. Be loyal and give.
4. Stay connected, don’t just call when you need something.
And remember this: the best networkers connect with others for long-term relationship-building, without knowledge of what, specifically, that relationship will ultimately bring to their lives.
Now, you already know what to do, so what are you waiting for? I have 2 great opportunities for you to get to know other fabulous likeminded women.
– Join our High Tea this Sunday and start building your tribe.
– If you can’t join me on Sunday, don’t worry! I got you. On Tuesday the 3rd of July I will be giving a free personal branding masterclass. If you are serious about your personal branding, you should join this free session in the evening.
Hope to see you then!