You probably have heard about a 1000 things about this Beyonce song already and here I am adding to your In Formation. But it is just too good to ignore. I mean….. like, how many people do you know that can drop a video and have the WHOLE world talking about it in just a few minutes. Only Beyonce or Adele at this point in time. And only one of them has been around since 1997! Yep we keep forgetting Beyonce has been at the top of her game for almost 20 years!
That is an amazing accomplishment nobody can take away from her. So I wanna share my 10 Beyonce Personal Branding lessons with you.
- Know what you want to achieve. Look at this video of a young Beyonce dancing and singing. She wasn’t even 10! This girl knew what she wanted and developed her talent.
- Work it baby! And give it your all! She worked hard at her talent. You know how people say you either have it or you don’t? BULLSHIT you can work at it! I remember when I used to work at BMG records at every single promo I did with an artist during the late nineties, Destiny’s Child was always around. They would come 4 or 5 times in a year to Amsterdam just to do promo. Believe me, not a lot of artist like going on a plane to Europe that much. Remember this TMF Awards performance from 2011.
- Believe in yourself and never EVER give up. Did you know that she was dropped by her first record label Elektra? And that she came in second on Star Search (like Idols). I mean those are some strong brands and you have to really believe in yourself to keep going. I see so many young artists that just give up and it shows. Because lemme tell you one thing. If you don’t believe in yourself why should the rest of us?
- Surround yourself with right kind of people who will be your champions. She had a dad who quit his job and sold their house to allow his daughter to be able to follow her dreams with Destiny’s Child. Her mother helped her with her styling. And who doesn’t see that she married the right partner? I mean having Jay Z by her side #partnergoals! But what about Wyclef Jean who believed in them so much he invested time into making a remix of NO NO NO and it gave them their first number 1 hit record. I really love this video of them singing acapella with Wyclef.
- Always keep growing and developing yourself. On her second album with Destiny’s Child she not only wrote songs but also produced them. And remember when she started acting? I mean we all loved her in Dream Girls right? But I was truly jealous of that girl when she starred in a movie with Idris Elba… oh lord have mercy.
- Practice makes perfect. And gives you confidence. Beyonce got more confident because she kept on doing what she is doing. Confidence can grow on you. The longer you do something the more confident you get. Just take that first step out of our comfort zone.
- Stay focused on your goals. I mean just look at this video, here she is directing her group members as a teenager (go to 13.00-13.36).
- Keep telling your story. Don’t believe the hype, people will drive you crazy with their version of your story. They will say things and maybe you start believing it but eh.. no just keep telling your story and own it. Like people were saying how Beyonce forgot she was black. As if putting on a blond weave can change where you came from. I love the part in FORMATION where she goes:
“My daddy Alabama, Momma Louisiana
You mix that negro with that Creole make a Texas bama
I like my baby heir with baby hair and afros
I like my negro nose with Jackson Five nostrils
Earned all this money but they never take the country out me
I got a hot sauce in my bag, swag”
- Bad things will happen but you have to keep moving Girl! Remember that song Survivor? 2 group members left Destiny’s Child and she just kept on going without them. What were there names again?
- Haters will be haters, just keep doing you! This interview of Rudy Giuliani cracks me up. He has no clue that he is part of the problem. And that all Beyonce was doing was shedding light on the problem.
I always say artists are the best brand builders. What I mean is : the true artist are the best Brand Builders because they are built on authenticity. And the biggest lesson I learned from Beyonce this week is being authentic always works.
So for the people who critize her… I wanna leave them with the words of the late and great Nina Simone.