5 minute read!
I am tired AF! And I am mad. And if you feel the same then this message is for you! Even if you are too tired to read further. You know it’s been a while since we spoke, and here I am back to give you my biggest grievance.
- I’m tired of hearing from women that they are wasting time in a job they don’t like and are not hired for the jobs they really want.
- I’m tired of hearing from women that they already do the work but don’t have the title nor the salary that goes with it.
- I am tired of hearing from women that they have many good ideas but are afraid to make them visible because they think they are too old, too young, too inexperienced whatever.
- I am tired of hearing from MEN that they can’t find good women to make partners, give top roles and more.
- And…I am fed up that there is no equality at the top of the business world, because women are really fundamentally different from men, and that inequality leads to decisions being made in business and politics that are mostly driven by greed and more power.
And I am mad that you are probably one of the most talented women in your industry, but so tired of trying that you feel that your ambition is fading away.
Stop 🛑 in the name of all the women who need role models like you. You can show so many co-workers, other women, girls, boys, your family, friends, the whole community that tiredness is not the end. It is the beginning for change. This is your turning point! But if you love being tired stop reading. Let’s be honest, it’s not rocket science. We need more female leaders.But you already know this. Just like you know the reasons there aren’t more women in top management. Reasons such as:
• Few role models for women (you can’t be what you can’t see!)
• Women have more family responsibilities than men
• Lack of leadership training designed for women
• Lots of our companies have a masculine corporate culture
• Roles assigned by society to men and women
And you know that we are doing a terrible job in The Netherlands right?
“The Netherlands scores the lowest in Western Europe when it comes to female representation in management positions. The share of women is 25% compared to 32% in Western Europe.” – this is from a 2018 Mckinsey report.
Yes what we need most is more female leadership. And acting like a girl is actually good for business because:
1. Companies with strong female leadership deliver a 36% higher return on equity, the index provider MSCI.
2. Companies with more than one woman on the board have returned a compound 3.7% a year over those that have none since 2005, Credit Suisse, Research Institute
3. And this summer it was all over the news that companies that employ the most women get the best returns (Morgan Stanley report).
Good leadership includes empathy, patience, listening and caring, which are traditionally “female characteristics”. Right now the world has too much of masculine leadership. We need to create a balance.
That is why I am calling on you to STEP IT UP. It is on you now.
So I shared some terrible numbers and facts with you. But what the hell does it matter if you’re not changing the facts?
Change means starting with you.
You might not define yourself as a leader but if you don’t who the hell will?!! I know you have great ideas, are ambitious and I really know that you would simply ROCK when you reach the top.
But… do think you have the luxury to sit and do nothing? Or do you:
– Feel the urgency to set goals and to achieve them and not just keep dreaming and brainstorming
– Want to develop in business career and want to live your life on your terms.
– Want to move forward instead of standing still and delaying things
– Want to have the guts to pursue your real wishes.
– Think that more is possible than you do now but you don’t know how to handle it in the right way and thus get out of your routine
– Want to focus on yourself so that you can decide which direction you want to go with your career.
If so, let’s get you moving girl!
But wait, there is one big challenge. Do you have enough bagage? Are you carrying enough awareness, confidence and believe in yourself? Every single one of them can be learned. Did you know that having confidence is a skill people develop?
Listen girl. What I learned after many years of BrandedU, as feedback from women (who have followed my training and make real steps in their career), is that the power is in the repetition. By this they mean that they have received a lot of “luggage” due to the multiple contact moments with BrandedU. And that despite the fact that they were once again drawn into the issues of the day at work, they kept on track with their goals because of their luggage and that this empowered them enormously. Nothing imposter syndrome, they find out they can do much more than they think!
Why would anyone hire you if you don’t believe you can do it? Would you go to a hair dresser that doesn’t say with confidence that she can style your hair? I think not!
So let’s keep it real. You gotta put in the work and like they say, Rome wasn’t built in a day. But you don’t have to do it by yourself. I am the most impatient woman in the world, those who know me well can testify on this, so I like to do this with focus and the right energy. This is why I launched 2 new programs this year, both will take place in an inspiring location in Spain in autumn. Because if I don’t who will, WHY WAIT? And most leadership programs only focus on masculine skills and there is enough of that already in the world, we don’t need more of that kind of energy out there.
So let’s ROCK it our way with:
1. LEAD TO EMPOWER
This program is a concrete path for established female leaders to become inspiring role models in business. You can be a successful leader and pay it forward to the next generation. So I already have women from companies such as Rituals and De Persgroep on this program (from 29th september – 2nd of October). It is an individual coaching program so no group sessions. More info can be found here.
They will also become mentors to women following Women’s Leadership Path.
2. WOMEN’S LEADERSHIP PATHHere we bring like-minded career women together to prepare themselves for their next career move. During the week (2-8 October 2019) women follow group sessions to gain new insights and inspiration and make new valuable connections. Every day there are inspiring speakers, workshops and mindfulness sessions. If you follow this program here you get a mentor from the Lead to Empower program.
Both programs are uniquely designed with one goal: building the confidence in women to make themselves more visible. Because in the end you need to inspire more women to follow in your footsteps and do what you do. Because when they see you doing it, you increase not only their ambitions but also their beliefs that they can do it. So you have to be more visible, also if you aren’t visible who will give you your dream role?
Listen girl, if you are ready and don’t have time to waste, email me before the 1st of September because then I can still give you my special surprise (you know how I love giving these away). That is a special invitation to one of my inspirational events that I organize with Harper’s Bazaar for our Network Academy. To end things in the words of that famous shoe brand : Just friggin’ do it already!…... *well they should really say it in this way
See you in Spain!